- Fried : Makes a light, sweet dessert
- 2 peeled and sliced yellow platanos then fry in about 2 Tbs of butter until lightly golden.
- Platano Sauce: Makes a healthy snack
- 1 cup of water for every yellow platano, sugar is optional
- Slice up yellow platano and put in a sauce pan with water. Boil the water until the platanos are a deep yellow and are soft. Remove from heat and mush/ blend the platanos in the water. You may add sugar to taste. You can use this sauce like apple sauce: eat it plain, or with granola (instead of yogurt…my favorite), as baby food (Elleazah’s favorite), or use it for baking instead of oil (for those of you that like to put apple sauce in brownies for a healthier treat, or I use it in granola in place of the oil… shhh, don’t tell Steve!)
250 g of strawberries, 4 eggs, 200 gr. Sugar (1 cup) , 500 ml milk, 1 teaspoon of water. 1 tsp of vanilla.
Place two tbs. of sugar and water in a saucepan on the fire and when well heated and caramelized flan ring inside one and let it cool.
Heat the milk while boiling.
Beat eggs in a bowl with remaining sugar mixture until it is frothy.
Wash the strawberries and puree, reserving a few to decorate the flan, incorporate in the strawberry puree the vanilla, beaten eggs and add little milk at a time while whisking. Pour into caramel flan ring and bake in a caramel bath 45 minutes or until fruit set at a temp of 350. Let cool, unmold on a platter and serve garnished with reserved strawberries.
1 chicken 1 1 / 2 kg, 200 grams of mushrooms clean cut in half, 50 g butter, 2 tablespoons of oil, 100 grams diced bacon, 1 large onion, peeled and minced 2 cloves peeled garlic, 1 tablespoon fried tomato, 2 tablespoons brandy, 2 glasses of red wine, a bunch of herbs (1 bay leaf, marjoram, rosemary and parsley) Salt ground pepper.
Cut the chicken, then salt, pepper, flour it to fry in a skillet with the butter and oil then set it aside. Sauté the bacon in the same grease, add onion and garlic and cook. Pour the onion and garlic sauce over the chicken and add the tomato, brandy, wine and herbs. Stir, cover pan and simmer 45 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cooking continue about 15 minutes more.
Serve with cooked rice or pasta.
Heat oil in a pan and fry the onion until translucent. Wash the eggplants, troceelas, and stir into the onions, along with zucchini, red and green peppers, and tomatoes and continue to simmer and braised with the pan covered, about 15 minutes. Add the rice, give it a few laps, season and sprinkle with twice the amount of stock that the volume of rice. Prepare a mashed with garlic, parsley and saffron, stir into the pan and continue cooking, with, uncovered container, about 20 minutes.
Ajiaco (pronounced: ah-hee-ah-co) Santafereno
In a pot with a gallon of water put the ribs, onion, cilantro and garlic, lime and pepper to taste and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the chicken, creole potatoes, Pasto potatoes, and finally, potato savanna. When the chicken is tender and the potatoes begin to fall apart, add the cob and a cup of corn. Then simmer for 20 to 30 minutes over medium heat. Serve with sour cream and capers and served with rice and avocado.
High Altitude Cornbread (from the event with the 11th grade girls)
1 cup areparina (corn meal)
1 cup wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 beaten egg
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
Mix batter for 1 minute.
Grease baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.